Monday, March 12, 2012

Churchill Downs Derby 2012 National Ad Campaign


It was a frigid morning in December that the sunny, faux-spring Derby ad photoshoot was scheduled at the historic Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville KY. I arrived before the sun had risen between the twin spires and frost was still covering the rooftops. I was concerned as I got my first look at the cute little silk dress that I would be wearing throughout the entire day in different sets throughout the park. I knew that I was going to freeze for hours and that there was absolutely nothing I could do to get around it. And most importantly, I had to look HAPPY about it. (One of those moments when you would just about punch anyone who makes fun of modeling as an occupation! Haha)




We shot the first scene in the paddock just as the sun was rising above the rooftops. I was able to work with the beautiful racehorse "Terror Me Slew" (get it? Say it all together!) who was in love with my Derby hat and kept nuzzling it the whole time as I held on tight to her reigns. It was adorable. She was breathtaking, and surprisingly... cooperative! Oh, how I love the unpredictability of working with
animals! Andrew Kung Photography and crew knocked those shots out of the park despite numb toes and fingertips.


The second scene was shot out on the racetrack in a similar style. Unfortunately for me, I had no idea that the cold I had experienced in the paddock was only amplified by wind gusts out on the track! The wind hit my bare skin like needles. My hat kept flying off of my head and the new racehorse used for that set was ready to RUN! I can't blame him!


The fantastic ladies at Churchill Downs were awesome and kept throwing blankets on me between takes. Their entire staff was so wonderful and thoughtful. I am incredibly indebted to them for my survival without getting pneumonia! Even despite the temperatures, I had a blast! I am realizing that I enjoy challenges. :)



Andrew Kung Photography did an impeccable job. Working with them is an outstanding experience. I wish everyone could be so professional! www.andrewkung.com



The ad has recently appeared in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition 2012 as well as the back cover of
Bloodhorse Magazine and will appear in People Magazine in April, so keep an eye out for it!


It was an honor to be part of such a beautiful, national ad campaign which embodied the spirit of Derby and the pride of Kentucky. I feel so lucky and
very blessed!
Thank you to Churchill Downs, Andrew Kung Photography and Creative Alliance for making it a great experience! I can't wait to see even more exciting things that get released from that day's production.

Stay tuned for more news soon!



Happy moment: Enjoying a sucker during a break while awaiting my second frigid set out on the track

No comments:

Post a Comment